The Cheesman Park neighborhood is one of Denver’s oldest residential neighborhoods, with city plats dating back to 1868. The neighborhood is named after Walter S. Cheesman, a Denver water baron, whose estate funded the construction of the Cheesman Memorial Pavilion located on the east side of Cheesman Park.
The park was completed in the early 1900′s and the neighborhood was almost completely developed by 1915 with large mansions for some of the city’s wealthiest people, Denver Square style homes lining the majority of the streets and a very small number of bungalows mixed in. In the mid to late 1900′s, however, the neighborhood become more dense and urban in character with a plethora of mid to high-rise apartment buildings popping up and retail establishments forming neighborhood gathering areas.
Today, Cheesman Park residents enjoy close proximity to Cheesman Park, a true neighborhood park, with a 1.5 mile crushed stone jogging path and unobstructed views of both the downtown Denver skyline and Colorado’s front range peaks as well as a newly redesigned Denver Botanic Gardens’ “Member Gate” at the back of the park which provides a unique way for Cheesman Park residents to access the Botanic Gardens’ outdoor summer concert series shows. Some of Denver’s best restaurants like Potager, Fruition and Table 6 call the Cheesman Park area their home and residents of Cheesman Park have easy access to both King Soopers at 9th & Downing and Whole Foods at 11th & Ogden.
The Cheesman Park neighborhood and the park itself are also considered a gathering spot among the gay community in Denver. Notable LGBT-related events that take place in the park include the annual PrideFest parade (June) and the AIDS Walk Colorado (September).
- Boundaries: Colfax (north), 6th Ave (south), York (east) and Downing (west)
- Red Door Recommends: Potager (11th & Ogden), Fruition, Dazbog Coffee (9th & Downing) and Liks Ice Cream (13th & Vine)
- Walkability Score: Very Walkable
- Public Elementary Schools Serving Cheesman Park: Bromwell & Moore
- Learn more about Cheesman Park: Cheesman Park Blog Posts
Like Cheesman Park? You might also like Congress Park or Park Hill
Cheesman Park Neighborhood Photos:
- Cheesman Park sign (8th & Williams)
- Cheesman Memorial Pavilion (east side of the park)
- Bontanic Gardens’ Member Gate (east side of the park)
- Potager Restaurant (11th & Ogden) – Photo by L.Reece
Contact Red Door Properties for more information on Cheesman Park properties for sale.